repository for zone files

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 23 20:01:05 UTC 2010

On 09/23/10 12:53, Stewart Dean wrote:
> On AIX, I'm used to /etc/dns.  CentOS seems to place in /var/named.  Is
> there any blessed, bestofallpossibleworlds place for the zone files. I'm
> moving our DNS from from AIX to CentOS/Fedora. I'm inclined to create
> the /etc/dns dir but maybe it'd be better to put it in
> /var/named.....Comments, brickbats?

I have always found it to be a good idea to do what the OS wants.  Many
OSes now are set up to run bind in a chroot jail (a good thing), but
this requires a specific directory structure.  If your OS has already
set that up (and if the startup scripts work with that structure), then
it's best to keep them that way.  Probably the ideal thing to do is use
the OS defaults and then symlink your previous directory structure to
the OS defaults as necessary to maintain compatibility with your
in-house scripts and processes.

michael