BIND views and slaves

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Sep 7 00:33:47 UTC 2010

In message <4C84F845.9090905 at lists.schang.net>, Brian Schang writes:
> Hello:
>
> On 9/6/2010 9:45 AM, Brian Schang wrote:
>
> > On 9/5/2010 10:17 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > Is it possible to:
> > (1) Allow the master external view to be transferred into the slave's
> > internal and external views?
>
> > More specifically, it seems simple to transfer the master external view
> > into the slave external view. But how do I transfer the master external
> > view into the slave's internal view?
>
> I think that I found an FAQ entry that more closely resembles the
> configuration that I am looking for.
>
> I want my friend's external view to be transferred to both my internal
> and external zones. I think this is how I think things work:
> (1) My friend updates his master zone file. A notification goes out over
> publicly addressable IP space to all slaves.
> (2) My slave picks up the update in the external view.
> (3) I need to add an 'also-notify' clause to the slave zone definition
> in the external view. This will be configured to send out another
> notification to an internal IP address.
> (4) I need to add a 'masters' and 'transfer-source' clause to the slave
> zone definition in the internal view. This will be configured to have
> named listen for zone updates on the internal IP address.
>
> Do I have this correct?

You could do it that way or you could just transfer the zone between the
views on you machine after you have transfered the zone from your friend.

View A is the view notifies for the zone would normally reach.

Mark

key transfer-key { .... };
key notify-key { .... };

view A {
	match-clients { key transfer-key; !key notify-key; ... };
	server 127.0.0.1 {
		keys notify-key;
	};
	zone "example" {
		type slave;
		file "slaves/A/example";
		allow-transfer { key transfer-key; };
		notify explict;
		also-notify { 127.0.0.1; };
		masters { .....; };
	};
};

view B {
	match-clients { !key transfer-key; key notify-key; ... };
	zone "example" {
		type slave;
		file "slaves/B/example";
		masters { 127.0.0.1 key transfer-key; };
	};
};

--
Mark Andrews, ISC