Subdomain delegation only returns SOA on dig

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Mar 30 08:12:35 UTC 2010

On 29.03.10 12:34, Prabhat Rana wrote:
> I'm running BIND 9.6.1-P1 on a Solaris box. This DNS (ns1.spx.net) is
> authoritative to domain spx.net (this is just example). And I'm trying to
> delegate nse.spx.net to ns1.nse.spx.net. I think I have configured
> correctly but when I run a dig from a different DNS node for a subdoamin
> within nse.spx.net like mil.nse.spx.net, it responds only SOA in the Auth
> section. Its missing the NS from the zone files. The snapshot of my
> named.conf file
>
> zone "spx.net" {
>         type master;
>         file "/opt/named/db.spx.net";
> };
>
> zone "nse.spx.net" {
>         type master;
>         file "/opt/named/db.nse.spx.net";
> };
>

> Here are the snapshot of consecutive zone files

> $ttl 38400
> spx.net.     IN      SOA     ns1.spx.net. ns2.spx.net. (
>                         1189784076
>                         86400
>                         3600
>                         604800
>                         38400 )
> spx.net.     IN      NS      ns1
> spx.net.     IN      NS      ns2

> ns2.spxdns.net. IN      A       10.1.2.3
> ns1.spxdns.net. IN      A       10.4.5.6
- out of zone data, shouldn't they be ns2.spx.net. and ns1.spx.net. ?

> ns1.nse.spx.net. IN        A    10.7.8.9
- this address is different from the one below

> ;there are other entries here
> $ORIGIN nse.spx.net.
> @      IN      NS      ns1.nse.spx.net.

> And the 2nd zone file for submdomain nse.spx.net
> $TTL 3600       ; 1 hour
> @                       IN SOA  ns1.nse.spx.net <email> (
>                                 2008081812 ; serial
>                                 1800       ; refresh (30 minutes)
>                                 900        ; retry (15 minutes)
>                                 604800     ; expire (1 week)
>                                 3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
>                                 )
> ;
> nse.spx.net.         IN      NS      ns1.nse.spx.net.
> ns1.nse.spx.net.   IN      A       10.25.130.75
- this address is different from the one above.

> Now when I run a dig for say mml.nse.spx.net I get only the SOA of the above zone file and no NS information that the query is being delegated to.
> #dig @ns1.spx.net mil.nse.spx.net
> ; <<>> DiG 9.6.1-P1 <<>> @ns1.spx.net mil.nse.spxdns.net
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 1717
> ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;mil.nse.spxdns.net.            IN      A
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> nse.spx.net.         3600    IN      SOA  ns1.nse.spx.net <email>   . 2008081812 1800 900 604800 3600
>
> ;; Query time: 3 msec
> ;; SERVER: ns1.spx.net#53(10.1.2.3)
> ;; WHEN: Mon Mar 29 19:26:45 2010
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 108

I think this is correct answer saying that the requested hostname does not
exist.

> How would the querying DNS find out about the nameserver that this
> subdomain is being delegated to? Why the query answer doesn't include NS
> sections. I've tried to change few things but nothing works. The only
> information I get is SOA and no NS in the AUTHORITY SECTION.

did you try querying for NS records of nse.spx.net.?
Maybe you have minimal-responses turned on?

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759