How can I fake a part of domain?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Jun 23 22:46:14 UTC 2010

You can fake the whole example.com if you don't mind keeping the "real"
entries (e.g. www.example.com) in synch if they happen to change. Maybe
an automated script could look for the changes and apply them to your
version of the zone.

If you're not up to that, it gets ugly. The only method that comes to
mind is to define each of the names (e.g. www2.example.com,
www3.example.com) you want to fake as zones by themselves, in your local
DNS. Note that this won't even work if what you're trying to fake is a
CNAME, since you can't have a CNAME at the apex of a zone.

- Kevin