Bind Clustering

david klein root at nachtmaus.us
Thu Jul 29 12:06:30 UTC 2010

One solution that was floated recently around here was to use dynamically
loaded zones (http://bind-dlz.sourceforge.net/) with an underlying storage
mechanism that does bidirectional replication (a directory service like LDAP
or a database) for the masters, this way, whichever one gets the update, the
others get. The downside is that DLZ is basically a rearchitecture of your
DNS setup, and will require the two extra pieces to maintain (the DLZ
portion and the underlying replicating source).

 -DTK

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 6:25 AM, Gordon A. Lang <glang at goalex.com> wrote:

> I know BIND does not currently support multi-master.  And I understand that
> trying to strap together my own pseudo-multi-master implementation using
> BIND, bubble gum, and tape isn't a sustainable solution.  But, nevertheless,
> I don't really need a true multi-master implementation -- I just need to
> keep my backup master relatively up to date without relying on frequent
> freeze-copy-thaw operations.  I would be happy to have the updates go to one
> slave, and then be replicated to both the active master and the backup
> master.  I would deal with drift via brute force i.e. I would have the
> active master copy over to the backup master on a once or twice a day basis,
> not once every 5 minutes.
>
> I think it would be great if there were a new config construct added
> whereby the update-forward target(s) are explicitly specified.  In the case
> where the masters are slaves of a hidden master that is directly reachable,
> it would allow for the updates to be directly forwarded to the primary
> master instead of being forwarded twice.  And if multiple update-forward
> targets are specified, then all targets always get an update.  This could be
> used to maintain a duplicate (hidden) master and/or eliminate the
> failure-delay when the multiple masters "switch over," take turns being the
> master.  And possibly the specified update-forward target construct could
> also have an optional behavior of "forward-to-all" or
> "stop-on-first-success." if current behavior is preferred, but with a
> different list than then zone-transfer master list.
>
> Better yet, I would like add update-forwarding for master zones -- perhaps
> it could be called update-replication.
>
> I guess what I would really like to see is multiple MNAME targets
> accommodated right in the SOA, but I imagine that would have a serious
> compatibility challenge.
>
> Or else maybe a new zone type called backup-master that acts like a slave
> until an rndc control flips its operation state.
>
> I would like to get see some more comments on this.
>
> And I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me where in the
> source code I should look to find where the update-forward targets are
> obtained so that I can evaluate what it would take for me to write my own
> modifications.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Gordon A. Lang
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Buxton" <
> chris.p.buxton at gmail.com>

david t. klein

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CSCO11281885)
Linux Professional Institute Certification (LPI000165615)
Redhat Certified Engineer (805009745938860)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?