newb alert: how to make v4 and v6 "A" records resolve to same website

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Thu Jul 15 02:04:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 03:05:32AM +0200, fakessh wrote:
> yes this is theoretical. This is the standard reply to dig with the
> correct AAAA
>
> but how we transform the A record in AAAA
>
> this is a mathematical formula, how simple and without RTFM
>
> I compile my kernel is only ipv4 is no problems for the time but I would
> one day confront the same problem and I do not know how to

There is no such translation.  Rather, there used to be, but it has been
deprecated (that is, it's not supposed to be used any more).

IPv6 and IPv4 are essentially two separate networks running on the same
wires.  To reach your Web site via IPv6, your Web site must HAVE IPv6
installed, must have an IPv6 IP address, and must have a way of getting
IPv6 from your site out to a fully connected IPv6 router at your ISP.
Any IPv4-only router in the way will completely block the IPv6 flow.

Also, IPv6 must be understood all the way up to the applications level.
This should not be a problem with Apache's 'httpd' Web server, as long
as you put in either a "*" IP address or both the Web server's IPv4 and
IPv6 IP addresses.  I don't know about other Web servers; I know some
are not IPv6-aware.

Oh - you can't make up an IPv6 address; you have to use one that is
compatible with the IPv6 transport you get.

--
**