Behavior of a slave to a NOTIFY

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Jul 13 21:39:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Richard Tom wrote:

> What would delay a slave responding to a notify?  More importantly, what
> would delay a slave from transferring a zone after verifying the master's
> serial for the zone is newer than the serial the slave has?
>
> I've looked over the bug fixes as accumulated by the latest revisions for the
> 9.[2-7].x releases and see there have been some fixes to code related to
> notifies and zone transfers.
>
> Is it safe to say a busy BIND 9.5.x slave performing lots of zone transfers
> retrieves zones (from a master) more timely than a similarly busy 9.2.x
> slave?

If you're saying that the server you're concerned about is running
9.2.x, the correct answer is, "Upgrade." It's been EOL for a long time
now, and even if you find bugs in it no one is going to care. :)

In fact, your best bet at this point is to upgrade to at least 9.6.x,
and preferably 9.7.1-P1 since you're going to want to take advantage of
this opportunity to prepare for the possibility of DNSSEC.

If after upgrading you are still having problems, then we definitely
would like to know.

hth,

Doug

 			-- Pablo Picasso