Bind hang out when named reach to 5-600 Mb

Stacey Jonathan Marshall - Solaris Software stacey.marshall at oracle.com
Fri Jul 9 10:27:15 UTC 2010

On 07/09/10 07:36, khanh rua wrote:
> Can u tell me how to do this ?
> If you enable query log, you might be able to see if it's actually
> serving queries at that time.
>
> I mean "it hang" is named process is still running but it cannot
> respond any lookup query. CPU is almost at low rate 5-6 % or lower.
> It's both hang with single thread or multithread.
> datasize is 9999m
>  max-cache-size is 2000m;
> These are versions of bind i tried :
> bash-3.00# file /usr/sbin/named
> /usr/sbin/named:        ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1,
> dynamically linked, stripped
> bash-3.00# which named
> /usr/sbin/named
> bash-3.00# file /opt/SUNWbind9.6/sbin/named
> /opt/SUNWbind9.6/sbin/named:    ELF 64-bit MSB executable SPARCV9
> Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
> bash-3.00# file /usr/sbin/bind
> bind-9.7.1b1/ bind9.7.0P1/
> bash-3.00# file /usr/sbin/bind-9.7.1b1/named
> /usr/sbin/bind-9.7.1b1/named:   ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC
> Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped

running 'named -V' is the best may to show version and configure options.

> In my circumstance, i can try installing anything as long as it can
> fix this bug. I saw on sunsolve there 's a patch for bind 119783-15.
> Don't know is it useful to fix this bug?

No, that patch provides BIND 9.6.1-P3 with no specific changes.

Could you collect some lock statistics using plockstat(1M)? i.e.:

	# plockstat -e 300 -p `pgrep ^named`

The -e 300 causes it to collect statistics for 5 minutes - experiment a
little and feed back what is reported.

> Mb i will check with other version of bind. Hope this can help.

--Stacey