Installing 9.7?

Daniel Morgan daniel.morgan at riotm.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 09:15:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 08:36 +0000, Daniel Morgan wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 08:00 +0000, Evan Hunt wrote:
> > > This completed just fine - but what I can't find is any details on how
> > > to physically install it after building. I'm used to things like 'make
> > > install', but I don't want to blindly run random commands that may cause
> > > carnage.
> >
> > "make install" is fine.  By default it installs into /usr/local.
> >
> Thanks, that works in a fashion but as you point out installs to:
> /usr/local/sbin/ - but if I don't want to rewrite the init.d scripts for
> it I could use it being in /usr/sbin/
>
> I appreciate I can move it all by hand, but I'm guessing I can change
> where it installs to with 'make install' ? or do I need to do that when
> I build it?

Strike that - found the answer (it's as clear as mud....)
I think I'll just alter the init.d script for now and see if this
version fixes my issue....

"""

By default, `make install' will install all the files in
`/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib' etc.  You can specify
an installation prefix other than `/usr/local' using `--prefix',
for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.

For better control, use the options below.

Fine tuning of the installation directories:
  --bindir=DIR           user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
  --sbindir=DIR          system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
  --libexecdir=DIR       program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
  --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
  --sharedstatedir=DIR   modifiable architecture-independent data
[PREFIX/com]
  --localstatedir=DIR    modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
  --libdir=DIR           object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
  --includedir=DIR       C header files [PREFIX/include]
  --oldincludedir=DIR    C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
  --datarootdir=DIR      read-only arch.-independent data root
[PREFIX/share]
  --datadir=DIR          read-only architecture-independent data
[DATAROOTDIR]
  --infodir=DIR          info documentation [DATAROOTDIR/info]
  --localedir=DIR        locale-dependent data [DATAROOTDIR/locale]
  --mandir=DIR           man documentation [DATAROOTDIR/man]
  --docdir=DIR           documentation root [DATAROOTDIR/doc/PACKAGE]
  --htmldir=DIR          html documentation [DOCDIR]
  --dvidir=DIR           dvi documentation [DOCDIR]
  --pdfdir=DIR           pdf documentation [DOCDIR]
  --psdir=DIR            ps documentation [DOCDIR]

"""