about nsupdate

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 20 08:00:56 UTC 2010

On 12/19/10 23:47, Jorg W Young wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We primarily update the DNS records by nsupdate from a web interface.
> Under this case, if I modified the zone file directly by hand, will
> nsupdate overwrite the modification?

If you attempt to update a dynamic zone by hand, without first
"freezing" the zone or shutting down named, you will likely corrupt the
zone.  You need to use 'rndc freeze <zone>' and then do the update by
hand (don't forget to bump the serial number!), and then do 'rndc thaw
<zone>' (assuming you're using a recent version of BIND).  While the
zone is frozen, updates made dynamically (e.g. via your web interface)
will be discarded.  For these reasons, it's often good to think about
whether the hand-editing is really necessary and what impact it has on
your overall process.

michael