named: high memory usage under FreeBSD-7...?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Dec 16 22:48:40 UTC 2010

Hi, bind-users--

I'd recently updated a machine to FreeBSD 7-STABLE, and I've noticed that named from the base system (which claims to be BIND 9.4-ESV-R4) is using more than twice as much memory as it used to:

 PID USERNAME       THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
 706 bind             4   4    0 69424K 57292K kqread   0:09  0.00% named

It's serving about 20 zones with total record size of less than 100K, and has the following option block set:

options {
   directory "/var/named";
   recursive-clients 400;
   clients-per-query 210;
   max-clients-per-query 220;
   max-cache-size 10m;
};

This box was previously running FreeBSD-6.4 and dns/bind94 port, and named never crept above 30M VSIZE/RES even under heavy load (ie, "adnslogres -c 100" against a million line httpd-access.log file); the size above is from named running for about a day, *without* putting any significant load upon the nameserver....

Regards,
--
-Chuck