m master file managed-keys.bind failed

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Dec 8 13:51:46 UTC 2010

Who is supposed to own /var/named? I understand the reason for
the following error:

managed-keys-zone ./IN: loading from master file managed-keys.bind failed:
 file not found
managed-keys.bind.jnl: create: permission denied
managed-keys-zone ./IN: sync_keyzone:dns_journal_open -> unexpected error

	Except for the directories where bind needs to write
while running, I thought the rest of the tree was owned by root.
managed-keys.bind seems to be at the very top of the tree in
/var/named. Since that is owned by root, I can understand why
named running as bind won't write to it. That is obviously not
right so who does own directories not owned by bind? This is on
a test box so nothing terrible is happening right now, but we
are preparing for dnssec so now is the time to get everything as
it will be on the production system when the time comes.

	Is there, by chance, a "make it good" script where it
just chown's everything to the proper directories? That would be
very helpful.

Martin McCormick