Forwarding to two servers

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Aug 10 13:16:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, CLOSE Dave (DAE) wrote:

> Based on suggestions here, I now have a named.conf file like this:
>
>    options { ... };
>    logging { ... };
>    zone "." IN { type forward; forwarders { PUB; }; forward only; };
>    zone "HOST1" { type forward; forwarders { PRIV; }; };
>    zone "HOST2" { type forward; forwarders { PRIV; }; };
>    # PUB and PRIV are actually IP addresses, both on the LAN (not WAN)
>
> I think this means that simple queries for HOST1 or HOST2 (without a
> domain) will be forwarded to PRIV while all other queries will be
> forwarded to PUB. Queries forwarded to PUB will be tried with and
> without the domain search arguments from resolv.conf. Queries to PRIV
> either won't try the search domains or, since they will fail, will
> eventually try without them. If so, that is exactly what I want.

If the number of local HOST names is greater than the number of TLDs or
changes more frequently, you might want to invert this configuration, and
set each TLD to forward to your PUB server and everything else to PRIV.

Tony.
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND PLYMOUTH: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7, VEERING WEST 4
OR 5. SLIGHT OR MODERATE. RAIN THEN SHOWERS. MODERATE OR POOR, BECOMING GOOD.