Forwarding to two servers

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Aug 6 21:43:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Lyle Giese wrote:

> zone "mydomain.com"{
> type forward;
> forward only;
> forwarders { <ip address of priv server>;}; };
>
> The priv server needs to be authorative(and probably master) for
> mydomain.com.

As I understand it, BIND makes recursive queries to forwarding servers. If
the target is authoritative, you configure the zone as a stub. This is not
documented.

Neither stub nor forward zones work if you are doing DNSSEC validation and
the parent zone is secure and there is no delegation from the parent zone.
In this case you have to make the server authoritative for the child zone
(i.e. you must be the master or a slave) because BIND does not validate
authoritative zones so it does not trip over the lack of delegation.

Tony.
WIGHT PORTLAND PLYMOUTH NORTH BISCAY: SOUTHWESTERLY VEERING WESTERLY OR
NORTHWESTERLY, 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 AT FIRST. MODERATE, OCCASIONALLY ROUGH
IN PLYMOUTH AND NORTH BISCAY. RAIN OR SHOWERS, FAIR LATER. MODERATE OR GOOD,
OCCASIONALLY POOR.