BIND 9.6 Flaw - CNAME vs. A Record in MX Records are NOT "Illegal"

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Sat Jan 31 18:26:16 UTC 2009

On 31-Jan-2009, at 13:18, Al Stu wrote:

> And what business of yours would it be if I did?  That is pretty
> much the point here.  What business is it of yours, ISC, or anyone
> else if I chose to run my DNS with MX's pointing to CNAMES?  If it
> is a "bad" practice, fine so be it.  But it has practical and
> beneficial uses.  For ISC to deem it "illegal" is a fallacy and
> inappropriate..

ISC did not deem it illegal.  The IETF working group that designed the
protocol deemed it illegal.  If you have a problem with it, take it up
with the DNSEXT working group.

You have been presented with the means to turn off the behaviour.  Use
that or don't; it's up to you.  Please stop whining about it.

*plonk*