BIND 9.6 Flaw - CNAME vs. A Record in MX Records are NOT "Illegal"

bsfinkel at anl.gov bsfinkel at anl.gov
Mon Jan 26 15:19:54 UTC 2009

I have not copied the entire thread.

>You've added an additional step in your second paragraph that is
>prohibited by the section you quoted in the first.  The section from
>the RFC describes a situation where A is queried for and an MX record
>pointing to B is returned.  When B is queried for, an address record
>MUST be the answer.   The situation you have described is that A is
>queried for resulting in an MX record pointing to B.  When B is
>queried for, a CNAME pointing to C is returned, and that when C is
>queried an address record is returned.  Do you see the difference?
>
>The RFCs are quite clear that CNAMEs are not permitted in the RDATA
>for an MX.

If I have in DNS

     cn IN CNAME realname

and I query for cn, the DNS resolver will return "realname".
BIND also returns the "A" record for realname.  Is this a requirement?
If not, then

     mx IN 10 MX cn

will result in:

     1) the MX query returning cn,

     2) the cn query returning realname,

     3) a third (and RFC-breaking) query to get the "A" for realname.

There are only two queries if the resolver returns the "A" record along
with the realname of the CNAME record.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov