allow-query-cache and resolution time

Anton Korotin korotin at aha.ru
Thu Jan 22 22:35:21 UTC 2009

On 22 Jan 2009 17:09:28 -0500, LENA MATUSOVSKAYA, BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEXIN
<lmatusovskay at bloomberg.net> wrote:
> My goal is for my authoritiative server to use its memory cache to reply to the queries its authoritiative for. However, it should not satisfy all other queries - NO to recursion ;) . Overall, I'm wondering what affect setting "allow-query-cache" to "none" has on the performance of authoritative name servers.

Certainly authoritative servers do load all data from zone files to RAM.
And the data which the server is authoritative for are NOT in the cache.
That memory segment is not referred to as 'cache'. Authoritative server
_never_ stores in it's cache the data which it is authoritative for.

In context of BIND the "cache" (and the option "allow-query-cache") is only
about data which are retreived via recursion process and never about the data
which the server is authoritative for.

--
Anton