unwanted delegations was: What to do about openDNS

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Wed Jan 21 16:55:21 UTC 2009

On 21-Jan-2009, at 03:23 , Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2009, at 6:42 PM, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
>
>> Registries that implement host records (so, at least the gTLDs)
>> could accept the word of the registrant of the zone that contains a
>> name server (or the word of their registrar on their behalf) that
>> the server is no longer authoritative for zone X.  Registries that
>> haven't implemented host records could also do it, but it may be
>> more complicated to implement, depending on their particular system.
>

> This is actually an interesting idea to me.
>
> However, the one thing that no one has chimed in on yet, is this
> seems to me to be an openDNS issue.  The current DNS system works
> pretty well.  It actually handles this case rather gracefully, with
> proper caching there is no real danger.  My issue is the relentless
> pounding openDNS does, and for reasons I am not able to even guess.

It does sound like they're doing something at least odd, if not
completely wrong.  I suspect it's probably related to the way they
substitute  opcode 3 (nxdomain) with their own answers -- they're
probably making absolutely certain that the host doesn't exist, or
something.  What you describe seems excessive, though.