unwanted delegations was: What to do about openDNS

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Wed Jan 21 02:42:23 UTC 2009

On 20-Jan-2009, at 21:24 , Danny Thomas wrote:

> Scott Haneda wrote:
>> I brought this up a few months back.  For me, it is getting worse,
>> and I am not able to come up with a solution.
>>
>> I have many clients who reg domains.  They all point to my NS.
>> Sometimes, the client lapses hosting with me, and I delete the
>> zones.  They usually leave the domain reg'd and my NS's listed.
> The system should recognise the rights of nameserver operators.
> There should be some process by which unwanted delegations can be
> removed.
> Obviously doing this on the basis of an email is not a good idea,
> but perhaps
> the nameserver operator can publish their desire in a credible
> fashion:

I think the fix would be to registry operations, not the protocol.

Registries that implement host records (so, at least the gTLDs) could
accept the word of the registrant of the zone that contains a name
server (or the word of their registrar on their behalf) that the
server is no longer authoritative for zone X.  Registries that haven't
implemented host records could also do it, but it may be more
complicated to implement, depending on their particular system.