Multiple PTR records

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Jan 16 15:13:07 UTC 2009

On 15.01.09 10:19, Chris Buxton wrote:
> Yes, it is an issue. Remove this record:
>
> 4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa. PTR www.example.com.
>
> Your web server doesn't need a PTR record.

> >The main thing i don't want to break forward <-> reverse symmetry
> >cause there are some sanity checks about this (like in spamfiltering).
>
> Right, your mail server ought to have a PTR record. Your web server,
> however, does not need it.

Actually, it doesn't matter which PTR record will remain, unless there will
be any SPF record pointing to it.
And even a mail server does not need PTR record, if it only accepts mail,
but does not send.

The valid PTR is important when sending mail - many servers will refuse
connections from IP's without valid PTR and A records.

The contents of the record is not that much important (unless using SPF),
although some servers refuse mail from generic-looking names
(e.g. a-b-c-d.anything.example)

How does cat play with mouse? cat /dev/mouse