[RESOLVED] Conflicting glue records?

Milo Hyson milo at cyberlifelabs.com
Sun Jan 11 06:05:48 UTC 2009

Problem solved. After passing this information on to the proper
personnel, the domain has been modified to once again use self-
referential name-servers. The glue-records were modified as a result.

Thanks to all who assisted. :)

--
Milo Hyson
Chief Scientist

On Jan 8, 2009, at 05:21, Milo Hyson wrote:

> We have a working hypothesis. It appears that glue-records are set
> only when one configures a self-referential domain (e.g. example.com
> --> ns.example.com), and they're only deleted if one explicitly asks
> the registrar to do so.
>
> In our particular case, it seems when the domain in question was
> moved to the new ISP, not only did the name-server IPs get changed
> at the registrar but so did the names. Previously they were self-
> referential, but now they are pointing to servers in another domain
> (i.e. example.com --> ns.myisp.com). I'll bet anything that the
> person who made the change didn't ask the registrar to delete the
> old glue-records.
>
> --
> Milo Hyson
> Chief Scientist
> CyberLife Labs
>

> On Jan 8, 2009, at 03:33, Milo Hyson wrote:
>
>> I would think that any server-name should be permissible for any
>> domain. However, the IP should only be used in the case of a self-
>> referential entry (your first case).
>>
>> Is there any legitimate reason for someone to give an IP for a name-
>> server that differs from the authoritative source? That is, if the
>> authoritative name-server for myisp.com resolves ns1.myisp.com to
>> 1.2.3.4, is there any valid reason for someone to register
>> example.com with a name-server of ns1.myisp.com and an IP of 4.5.6.7?
>>
>> --
>> Milo Hyson
>> Chief Scientist
>> CyberLife Labs
>>

>> On Jan 8, 2009, at 03:15, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>
>>> If I register example.com, it's OK to register
>>> _anything_.example.com as
>>> glue. However, registering _anything_.example.net should not be