Named goes deaf

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Jan 9 11:14:10 UTC 2009

It is getting important to know if you are on Mac OS X, if you are,
this may have been solved, and somehow, I overlooked it.

It appears launcd, the cron replacement tool in OS X, can start named
before the network interfaces come up. I am not sure.  This implies a
reboot happened on my machine and I did not notice it at that time.

I tend to think port 53 works, and then goes deaf during run time.  I
will keep an eye on it.

At any rate, swiped from the QuickDNS forums, you could do something
like this in a shell script, and call that with your launchd script,
which will start it only when the interfaces are up

#!/bin/bash
until [ -n "$(ifconfig|grep inet\ |grep -v 127.0.0.1)" ] ; do
	sleep 1;
done

trap "killall named" EXIT
/usr/sbin/named $@