Conflicting glue records?

Milo Hyson milo at cyberlifelabs.com
Thu Jan 8 10:46:44 UTC 2009

In our particular case, we have stale glue records for our name-
servers that appear to be coming from a domain we host that is owned
by someone else. Despite our best efforts, we have not been able to
reach the owners and thus have not been able to get the host records
changed at the registrar. The net result is that any domains listing
those server names fail to resolve as the old IPs are no longer in
service.

This raises a scary question. If this is really an undefined
situation, could it be used as an attack vector? Although our
particular situation involves no component of fraud, what is to stop
someone from registering a domain and listing our server name with a
bogus IP?

--
Milo Hyson
Chief Scientist