Fresh (non cached) dig

Todd Snyder tsnyder at rim.com
Mon Jan 5 15:29:35 UTC 2009

I've been doing some testing lately on query times.  What I did was
create a new zone and create a * record within it.  Then, from a shell,
I do "dig @server $RANDOM.test.testdomain.com".  For more randomness,
you can combine: "dig @server $RANDOM.$RANDOM.test.testdomain.com"

That's how I've worked around the caching issue.  I also set the TTL on
the * record to be 1 second, to ensure that I don't hit any cache.

Cheers,

Todd.

> If you're referring to your local system's cache, you can bypass this
> by specifying a DNS server for dig to query. use @dns.server.domain or

> @4.2.2.2(for example) for this.
>
> If you're referring to the cache on the server you're trying to query,

> sorry, that's beyond your control, unless you have root on that
server.

> -wes
>
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Stephen Ward <
> stephen.usenet.ward at wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> For all my attempts to read the manual on DIG I can't find a way to
>> do something really simple.
>>
>> Is there a way to dig a domain name so even if the results are in
>> cache, it will ignore these and re-read them? It's really from a
>> testing perspective I'm looking at this. I can mash the keyboard each

>> time to try and get a better handle on the query time, but there has
>> got to be an easy way to do this?
>>

>> --
>> . . .
>>

> ------=_Part_21674_19533272.1230941795123 Content-Type: text/html;
> charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
> If you're referring to your local system's cache, you can
> bypass this by specifying a DNS server for dig to query. use
> @dns.server.domain or @<a href="http://4.2.2.2">4.2.2.2</a> (for
> example) for this.<br><br>If you're referring to the cache on the
> server you're trying to query, sorry, that's beyond your

> class="gmail_quote">On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Stephen Ward

href="mailto:stephen.usenet.ward at wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk">stephen.usene
t.ward at wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk</
a>></span>
> wrote:<br> <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px
> solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left:
> 1ex;">For all my attempts to read the manual on DIG I can't find a

> a domain name so even if the results are in cache,<br> it will ignore
> these and re-read them? It's really from a testing<br> perspective

> I'm looking at this. I can mash the keyboard each time to try<br>
> and get a better handle on the query time, but there has got to be
> bind-users mailing list<br> <a
> href="mailto:bind-users at lists.isc.org">bind-users at lists.isc.org</a><br
a><br>

> ------=_Part_21674_19533272.1230941795123--
>
> --===============3579383764054783402== Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="us-ascii" MIME-Version: 1.0

I had a feeling forcing lookups against other servers was all I could
do.
Problem is, once you've done that it's cached there too. Not a major
issue, just wanted to be sure it was not easily doable.

--
. . .