Query SOA for serial number in split DNS

Alan Clegg Alan_Clegg at isc.org
Mon Jan 5 03:47:29 UTC 2009

Chris Henderson wrote:
> I'm trying to write a program (either in Perl or C) which
> will query my DNS servers to get the SOA of specific domains.
>
> But my primary NS uses split DNS and my IP address cannot query the external
> view. When I query, I only get the serial number of the internal view.
>
> Is there any way to query the NS for both internal and external views and
> make it think that I am coming from a 'different' IP address?

You could add TSIG to the views and use that to differentiate between
"internal" and "external" and then send your queries using the different
TSIG keys.

Or, you could add an additional IP address to the ACL that you use to
identify "internal" and send the query from that.

Beyond that, the entire idea of views is to keep people from doing what
you are trying to do.

AlanC