slave zone without "file" statement?

andrew kagan aklist_bind at enigmedia.com
Sun Jan 4 18:32:49 UTC 2009

Hi All: I just brought a new 9.6.0 slave server online on freebsd 7. In my configuration file, I added all the zones with a configuration like:

zone "myzone" IN { type slave; masters {xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx}; };

note that I left out the "file" statement.

When I reload BIND  I see the zones being loaded from the master, and my query log shows the server answering queries...everything looks OK, but I don't see any backup files being created anywhere.

Is BIND just loading the zone data into RAM? Is this a really bad idea?