Is it possible to set a ddns hostname to access a name-based virtual host?

Serge Fonville serge.fonville at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 14:15:39 UTC 2009

> Let me give an example to illustrate my problem:
>
> In the following url, the prola.aps.org is a name-based  virtual host:
>
> http://prola.aps.org/pdf/PRB/v1/i1/p1_1
>
> On  the other hand, my institute has subscribed to prola and many other
> journals, so I want to use some self-made and easy-to-memory hostnames for
> each  of them.  For example, I want to use the following url to access
> the above one:
>
> http://myprola.myddns.org/pdf/PRB/v1/i1/p1_1
>
> Is this possible?

You can specify a domainalias for every virtualhost in the apache
configuration (other http servers should support similar functionality)
This has nothing to do with DNS since all dns does is translate the hostname
you type in to an IP address the computer uses to connect to.
Every http request contains a 'host' header that is used by the webserver to
determine the documentroot to serve.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Serge Fonville