blockhole'd IP receiving referral?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Sat Dec 19 14:09:07 UTC 2009

allow-recursion { internaldns; externaldns; };
        blackhole { blackhats; };

Works for me.

The acls internaldns and externaldns are specific networks/IPs we allow
to do recursion.  (Everyone can do lookups for domains for which we are
authoritative but not recursion.)  The acl blackhats is IPs/networks
we've seen hitting us over and over and impacted CPU load.

However, even though BIND dropped the queries rather than responding and
the above blackhole worked tcpdump showed they continue to try so I went
ahead and added DROP statements for those to my iptables config just to
drop them at the kernel level.