Bind slave to Windows 2008 AD/DNS

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Dec 8 13:37:49 UTC 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Jukka Pakkanen wrote:
> I have out Bind servers running as slaves to Windows 2008 DNS server, and it's working fine as far as I can see (except that the slaves after a period of times lose the data and never update it unless restart the Bind process, but that's another matter) but browsing the web I noticed there should be 6 zones I need to slave to have it correctly:
>
> >What zones are you slaving on your BIND server? There should be six:
> >
> >DomainDNSZones.example.com
> >ForestDNSZones.example.com
> >_msdcs.example.com
> >_sites.example.com
> >_tcp.example.com
> >_udp.example.com
> >
> >If you have these six zones slaved on your BIND server, and these zones are being transferred successfully, then there should be no problems. "
>
> What exactly does this mean?  I only have this:
>
> zone "company.local" {
>   type slave;
>   file "company.local.cache";
>   masters { 62.x.x.x; };
> };
>
> Should I instead have these six zones in the named.conf

That depends on whether they're declared as delegated subzones or included in the company.local zone. By default, the AD wizard will create just company.local and _msdcs.company.local as zones - the other subdomains are not separated into their own individual zones.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice