Question regarding dynamic updates

Mike Diggins diggins at mcmaster.ca
Sun Sep 28 18:59:32 UTC 2008

My DNS environment (BIND) consists of a Master Name Server which is
updated via a Database. A web page allows for changes, which updates the
database, and periodically the database is dumped out to zone files for
named, which are read and propagated to my slaves via regular zone
transfers.

My question is about transitioning to Dynamic updates, which I am not yet
allowing. We have a number of zones, all updated through the Web interface
I describe above. What happens if I want a client to be able to update one
of those zones dynamically, while still updating all the static entries in
the same zone, via the Web/Database and zone transfers? Is that even
possible to update a zone this way, and allow dynamic updates? I can't
seem to wrap my head around that. Can someone straighten me out?

-Mike