check-names settings

Cherney John-CJC030 John.Cherney at motorola.com
Fri Sep 12 21:17:39 UTC 2008

I'm surprised the check-names option even works. I remember one version
of BIND 9 I played with that logged a message that it didn't recognize
that option. So I took it out. (I wish I could remember what version of
BIND that was.) Now, when I look at BIND 9.3.4, I see that it is
allowed. In searching the web, I've seen various things along the lines
of "it was not in 9.2, but it is in 9.3" and "BIND 9 doesn't need it
because it doesn't check host names by default".  The DNS & BIND book
(4th ed) doesn't mention it in the appendix (p 569, BIND 9 Configuration
File Statements), but it does mention it for BIND 9 in chapter 4,
p76-78.

So, does BIND 9 use the check-names option? Do I need to put it back in
my named.conf file?

Thanks!
jwc