IPv6 Pattern Based Forward/Reverse Mappings

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Sep 11 03:24:34 UTC 2008

In message <E5750F36-3AFA-4AD2-81C6-E720AF480FE1 at mmc.com.au>, Matthew Moyle-Cro
ft writes:
> On 11/09/2008, at 11:46 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>

> > In message <E770E412-04F7-4591-9883-3E6D2BE8F41E at mmc.com.au>,
> > Matthew Moyle-Cro
> > ft writes:
> >> Hi,
> >> My apologies if this has been covered before.  If this isn't the
> >> right
> >> place then let me know.
> >>
> >> I work for a largish ISP - we've started rolling out IPv6 to
> >> customers
> >> and at some point will be offering dual stack broadband.  One of the
> >> issues is working out how to do generic IPv6 forward and reverse
> >> mappings.
> >
> > 	This is one area where IPv4 think is not a solution.  Let
> > 	the end user machines update their PTR records.  Vista
> > 	already does this.
>
> I wish you'd read my comments below before saying that.

	Mum and dads need this sort of support.  They have networks
	at home today.  Windows already sends the update request
	so you will have to handle the request one way or another.

	IPv6 is not IPv4.  Lots of things have changed since ISP's
	started pre-populating reverse zones.  There was no dynmic
	updates being done by default.  You can have different
	expections with IPv6 than you did with IPv4.

> I don't actually want to scale our nameservers to have to cope with an
> extra million or so updates per day - what happens if something breaks
> and suddenly I get 200,000 update requests in a minute?

	The same way as you deal with 200,000 DHCP requests a minute. :-)

	A sdb module or two which looks at the query name and
	contructs a response would handle this.

> I don't
> necessarily want domestic customers to be able to arbitrarily set
> reverse mappings - I want to prepopulate so that no matter how broken
> the customer's machines/firewalls/CPE are that they have useful
> reverse mappings.
>
> Being an ISP we're not able to enforce policy in the same way a
> corporate does - we don't get to choose really how broken customers
> own networks are.
>
> MMC

	Your mum and dads already have networks at home.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org