Determining version of BIND running on RHEL 4.0 box

Joe Makowiec makowiec at invalid.invalid
Thu Sep 4 16:12:21 UTC 2008

On 04 Sep 2008 in comp.protocols.dns.bind, MaryJane wrote:

> I'm in the process of learning more about BIND, as I'm now responsible
> for DNS running on RHEL box.  How do I determine which BIND version is
> running?  I do not have root privilege

"man named" leads to:

       -v     Report the version number and exit.

With many *nix commands, it's worth trying $COMMAND -v or
$COMMAND --version if you want to see the version.  If you're on a box
that uses yum, you can use "yum info $PACKAGE".  Boxes which use RPM
(which, in general, includes boxes that use yum) have a file called
"rpmpkgs" in their log directory (/var/log on most) which lists currently
installed RPMs and their versions.  If your box uses apt-get, you can try
dpkg -l $PACKAGE or dpkg -l|grep $PACKAGE.  These methods can, by and
large, be used by an unprivileged user.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/