suggestions for a hardware random number generator?

robertwessel2 at yahoo.com robertwessel2 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 23:19:04 UTC 2008

On Sep 5, 8:38 am, "Marcus Morgan" <mar... at ufl.edu> wrote:
> The random gathering process can only manage 4 or 5 bits per second.
> The only sources of entropy are the disk and ethernet,  which are
> mostly unused.  An identical server that has traffic manages to
> generate about 1400 bits/second.

So why not write a script that repeatedly FTP's a large number of
files from some other machine(s), stores them on disk, and then
deletes the bunch and does the whole thing again?  Or plug the machine
into a busy network, and turn a packet monitoring application on.  Or
just repeatedly copy 100GB of files from one directory to another.

And there are a fair number of hardware random number generators out
there, although I've only actually seen one of the serial port
abusers, which I didn't think was very reliable.