BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

wizzy at wizzy.co.uk wizzy at wizzy.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 11:27:51 UTC 2008

On 5 Sep, 18:33, Vinny Abello <vi... at tellurian.com> wrote:
> I just upgraded from BIND 9.4.2 to BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 on Windows Server 2003. The service no longer crashes like it did in P1 and P2, however after about 12 hours of load, named just stops responding to queries completely. The service appears that it is still running but will not respond to any type of query. I've restarted it and it came back to life again. I'm going to watch it more carefully to look for any other types of symptoms. I checked the log files and nothing out of the ordinary was in the logs. In fact, according to the logs, it appears that zone transfers were still happily taking place while it was not responding to queries.

 [snip]

> Some possible information that might help with this server's configuration. This server has multiple IPv4 IP addresses bound to the same network and same NIC. There is no IPv6 stack installed on the server. This server currently does recursion and also hosts some secondary zones as well.
>
> -Vinny

Hi,

Just want to add a 'me too'. We've got a very similar setup: Windows
2003 SP2 with multiple IPv4 addresses bound to a single NIC. No IPv6.
Server is authoratitive for about 300 zones files and also recurses.
Just stops answering UDP queries after a few hours, it's OK if you
stop and restart it. No event logs worth mentioning.

Darren