BIND forwarders

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Sep 2 21:38:57 UTC 2008

If named is looking something up that ends in ".mydomain.com" (or if
the query name is "mydomain.com" itself), and if the server is not
authoritative for the query name or any ancestor name, then named will
forward the query as indicated.

Example: Suppose named has no zones of the following names: ".",
"com", "www.mydomain.com". If the server is queried for "www.mydomain.com
", and if the answer is not already in cache, the query will be
forwarded. If the server is queried for "wwwmydomain.com" (missing a
dot), the query will not be forwarded (at least not due to the forward
zone shown).

As for fault tolerance between forwarders, this depends on your BIND
version. With any current version of BIND, named tries to use RTT to
pick the fastest forwarder; if a forwarder dies, the resolver will
very quickly switch over to the other server. As Mark Andrews noted on
this list not long ago, using RTT for forwarders is very, very tricky,
and often does not result in any kind of predictable choice of
forwarders from a list.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice