bind-dlz and %client% token

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Thu Nov 27 17:05:31 UTC 2008

On 27-Nov-2008, at 11:50 , Jakub Heichman wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking to implementing a DNS server based on bind-dlz with mysql
> backend that would allow me to give different DNS responses based on
> clients' IP addresses.

The closest match to this in BIND currently is views.  If you've got
fairly broad categories of IP addresses that you might give different
answers to, and the addresses in each category are fairly fixed, then
it would be pretty easy to set them up in views to present differing
answers to each category.

Whether or not this will work depends on things like how many
categories of source addresses you want, how easy it is to aggregate
those addresses into CIDR statements (there's a limit on how long the
match statement can be I think) and how often the categories will
change.

HTH,
   Matt