rfc1918 ns records coming from internet are queried?

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed Nov 26 20:02:27 UTC 2008

On Nov 26, 2008, at 11:49 AM, David Sparks wrote:
>> However, if you're concerned, it's pretty easy to set up a more
>> secure
>> infrastructure. Put a resolver (resolving name server) at the edge of
>> your network (in a DMZ, presumably) that knows nothing of internal
>> domains (nor IP address space). It refuses to send queries to private
>> addresses, but will answer queries coming from them. Then set up an
>> internal resolver that knows about your private namespace; for any
>> outside domains, it forwards to the server on the edge of your
>> network. Have client machines send queries to the internal resolver,
>> not to the edge resolver.
>
> That will work but I was hoping for something like:
>
> view "internet" {
> 	filter-rfc1918-responses yes;
>
> However I'm not concerned. :)

You can in fact set up the environment I described using views. Just
have the private view forward to the internet view. The following
resolving name server will ignore referrals to private name servers
for outside names; note that it's missing the masters list definition
named "private-auth-servers", plus the options statement, but is
otherwise complete.

acl "private" {
	10/8;
	172.16/12;
	192.168/16;
	# does not include 127/8
};
view "private" {
	match-clients { private; };
	# forward unknown names to the internet view:
	forward only;
	forwarders { 127.0.0.1; };
	# stub, slave, or forward zones for the private namespace:
	zone "private.zone" {
		type stub;
		masters { private-auth-servers; };
		file "stub.private.zone";
		forwarders { }; # disable forwarding for stub zones
	};
};
view "internet" {
	server 10/8 { bogus yes; };