DNS lookup problems specific the Facebook domains

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Fri Nov 21 18:47:42 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if this is my problem or a Facebook problem.
The first issue was with facebookmail.com.  The cache entry would become
corrupt and I would have to clear cache to get things back to working
again.  Since facebookmail.com resolves to a single IP address, my work
around was to make my internal DNS authoritative for it and the problem
went away.

A week ago, DNS lookups for  facebook.com failed completely.  Even
restarting the DNS  service didn't fix the problem.  Currently, and as a
temporary fix only, I am forwarding facebook,com lookups to an
off-campus server which does not seem to have the problem.  And now, as
of last night, lookups to fbcdn.net (which apparently hosts stylesheets)
fail completely and I've implemented the same forwarding scheme there as
well.  I've been tracking resource allocations on the Linux box that
hosts the DNS just to see if there might be some connection there, and
as far as I can tell, there isn't anything there that might explain it.

Being that we are a four year residential college, the heaviest hit on
our DNS servers are students, and Facebook is the singularly most
heavily used external service.  Also, as far as I can tell, we are
having no problems looking up any other addresses.  Has anyone else seen
this problem with Facebook or does this problem sound familiar with any
other sites.  I'm baffled and any ideas about what to look for would be
most appreciatd.

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College