Is it possible to use one KSK for multiple domains?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Nov 20 08:16:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 09:55:52PM +0100,
 Adam Tkac <atkac at redhat.com> wrote
 a message of 17 lines which said:

> If I understand correctly what RFC 4034, section 2.1.1 says "... If
> bit 7 has value 1, then the DNSKEY record holds a DNS zone key, and
> the DNSKEY RR's owner name MUST be the name of a zone..." it is
> impossible. Each zone has to have his own KSK and ZSK pair, hasn't
> it?

[Warning: still struggling with the subtleties of KSK/ZSK.]

The text you quote is for DNS publication. But you typically do not
put KSK in the DNS, no?

I would say, quoting Tolkien: one ZSK per zone, but only one KSK to
sign them all.

[AFNIC manages six TLD so the answer interests us, too.]