in-addr.arpa problem

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Fri Nov 7 05:43:16 UTC 2008

I have a pair of 9.5.1b2 installs in a master/slave arrangement.  Each
has 3 views on it: trusted, non-trusted and non-trusted-chaos.  Into
both the trusted and non-trusted I include 3 files that contain the zone
config statements for all our zones, our customer zones and our
in-addr.arpa zones.  This has worked fairly well except for an annoying
problem that I may ask about later.

I switched the rDNS servers in our ARIN WHOIS records today and they
just took affect.  I got an alert from Nagios about 30 minutes ago
saying that SMTP wasn't responding on our spam filter.  When I checked
from a different host the spam filter acted fine.  When I checked it
from my NOC box, a host that uses the new rDNS servers, it took 15-20
seconds to go through.  I started doing rDNS lookups against my servers
and found a problem.  rDNS against my master from within the trusted
view works fine.  It doesn't work on the slave.  I haven't been able to
figure out why.  The slave is pulling down the current in-addr.arpa for
that subnet without any problems.  It just won't answer queries.

I'm not exactly sure how to troubleshoot this problem.  Is there a debug
mode that I can put bind into that might shed some light on why it's not
matching?  Reloading the slave shows that it's loading this particular
in-addr.arpa zone for both trusted and non-trusted.  Why would it not
answer then?

Thanks
  Justin