Disaster Recovery Bind architecture

Emery atlantic at comcast.net
Thu May 22 02:18:12 UTC 2008

Kevin,
Thank you so much for the detailed response! That is the type of help I
need in making these crucial decisions.

Let me explain further especially because I made a mistake in my prior
explanation. The scripted solution I referred to in the prior email is
actually between the primary site master and secondary site internal server.

The primary master and secondary internal master zone files are
completely different. The primary site has strictly the primary site
resources and the secondary internal site only has information about the
resources located at that site.. The reason I am doing the "munging" is
- since both sites have the same domain name, the servers at the
secondary site cannot perform lookups on the primary site because BIND
servers will not perform recursive lookups on domains for which they are
also authoritative. My only solutions I could come up with were:

         1) change the domain name for the secondary site.
         2) pass the primary site data file(s) to the secondary server,
then load it through a $INCLUDE directive.

I chose to use solution 2. Before I can perform the include, I have to
strip out the first lines, which include the SOA, serial number, TTL,
refresh, retry and expire information. Once loaded, the internal
resources at the secondary site can find the resources at the secondary
site. All of this is automated and happens whenever the serial number in
the secondary forward/reverse zone files changes.

A more natural or elegant solution would be for the secondary site
internal server to be able to perform recursive lookups on the external
nameserver for resources in the _example.com_ domain, but because both
the internal and external are authoritative for same domain name, the
internal nameserver will not look outside of itself for any
_example.com_ resource.

Because the secondary site external server is a slave to the primary
site, the secondary site servers could effectively resolve primary site
resources I configured their resolv.conf files with the external server
as first choice, but then the problem would be reversed in that the
external nameserver would not look up internal secondary resources
because of the authoritative domain issue I pointed out earlier.

I would love to totally separate the two environments, so that they
would not need to know about each others resources, but there are many
databases and other applications that are performing replication between
the sites. If this were not the case, I would make each site totally
autonomous and not dependent on each other.

With regards to the NAT issue; the external nameserver will hold the
nat'd addresses of only a few resources. All other servers available to
the public are web/app servers which are in the DMZ.

Another person (Ken Hays) suggested I look into implementing views,
which I will do tomorrow.

I hope this clarifies things a little. I value your input.

E. R.