Need help with DNS

F. Even bindlists at elitists.org
Mon Mar 31 04:58:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Kal Feher <kal.feher at melbourneit.com.au> wrote:
> I would highly recommend the O'Reilly book "DNS and BIND" (latest edition
>  ... 5th I think). Both beginning and advanced topics are in my opinion
>  fairly accessible.
>
>  It starts from the very beginning (how does dns work?), progresses to
>  obtaining the domain name (where do I start?) and then moves into the first
>  basic setup. Basic conventions for naming zone files are contained within
>  the text (the "db" naming convention you refer to in earlier posts). So the
>  grammar and phrasing that can make DNS unapproachable for some, is
>  introduced and explained, making the subsequent tutorials more meaningful.
>
>  At the risk of sounding like someone yelling RTFM, I would suggest reading
>  at least the first 6 chapters. The book will remain invaluable as a
>  reference well beyond those first few chapters.
>
>  I recommend the book purely as a user of DNS.

Agreed.  That's how I cut my teeth on DNS.  It lacked a little bit in
a couple areas but overall, the definitive reference.  I think I ended
up w/ some punctuation errors when I got my first DNS server up and
running (which a co-worker at the time spotted and helped me correct).
 This is really the only book needed though.