dyn dns pb ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Mar 18 02:58:37 UTC 2008

franck dufau wrote:
> hello Gurus,
>
> i want install dyn dns on Etch
> howto ->> http://www.scribd.com/doc/301693/DynamicDNS

That just comes up with an empty page for me. Does one need a "scribd"
login to access that page? Is that your personal storage?
> when i restart dhcp3 -> OK
> when i restart bind9 :
> debian:~# /etc/init.d/bind9 restart

Since I don't run Debian I have no idea what would be in
/etc/init.d/bind9 on that platform. Please either show the relevant
parts of that startup script, or ask a Debian expert to explain what's
in it.
> Stopping domain name service...: bindrndc: connection to remote host closed
> This may indicate that the remote server is using an older version of
> the command protocol, this host is not authorized to connect,
> or the key is invalid.
>  failed!

What is configured for the RNDC key? Do you have an /etc/rndc.conf or
/etc/rndc.key file on the system? What the contents of your "controls"
statement in named.conf? Whatever/whoever set up your named.conf should
have also configured RNDC if that's what the system uses to stop the
nameserver process.

Note that this is a basic operational issue with stopping and starting
your nameserver daemon, I'm not sure what relevance it has to your
attempts to configure Dynamic DNS.

                        - Kevin