How to disable IPv6 AAAA dynamic updates?

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 6 16:49:35 UTC 2008

On Mar 6 2008, Denis Laventure wrote:

>We have a DDNS setup with IPv4 only (Bind 9.4.2). With Vista and IPv6
>(activated by default) we always get AAAA entries on our DDNS tables. I
>tried to disable IPv6 with -4 on named command line, I added
>listen-on-v6 { none; }; to my config, I disabled IPv6 on my OS...

All those are to do with whether BIND will listen for requests on IPv6
connections, or talk to other nameservers over IPv6. They say nothing
about what sort of record types it will handle, and its a category
error to think that it might. It's like thinking that if a nameserver
doesn't use e-mail it would refuse to handle MX records.

>Nothing works, I still get AAAA added to my forward table.
>
>Is there a way to disable IPv6 dynamic updates from IPv6 clients in bind?

Well, you might be able to use "update-policy" to forbid updates to type
AAAA records, but that assumes your update requests are signed. Are they?

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk