Difference between BIND and Windows AD DNS

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Mar 4 22:40:57 UTC 2008

The IP address of the server shown in the SRV record should be
returned in the Additional section of the response. If you do not see
it there, you should verify two things:

1. Does the server's name exist in a zone for which the BIND server is
authoritative?
2. Do you have additional-from-auth turned off in the options
statement of your named.conf?

As a test, I created a zone named "test.zone.". In that zone, I
created an SRV record that refers to a hostname in the zone, and I
also created the hostname. The results of a dig query:

$ dig @localhost _ldap._tcp.test.zone srv

; <<>> DiG 9.4.1-P1 <<>> @localhost _ldap._tcp.test.zone srv
; (3 servers found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_ldap._tcp.test.zone.		IN	SRV

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_ldap._tcp.test.zone.	172800	IN	SRV	0 0 389 fred.test.zone.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
test.zone.		172800	IN	NS	localhost.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
fred.test.zone.		172800	IN	A	10.0.0.1

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Mar  4 14:38:51 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 116

I'm using BIND 9.4.1-P1 in my testing lab.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice
Address: Noatun 17, IS-105, Reykjavik, Iceland
Phone:   +354 412 1500
Email:   cbuxton at menandmice.com
www.menandmice.com

Men & Mice
We bring control and flexibility to network management

This e-mail and its attachments may contain confidential and
privileged information only intended for the person or entity to which
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination,
distribution or copy of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and immediately delete this message and all its attachment.