JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Thu Jun 26 23:16:14 UTC 2008

At Fri, 27 Jun 2008 01:50:09 +0300,
"Jukka Pakkanen" <jukka.pakkanen at qnet.fi> wrote:

> Upgraded from 9.4.2 to 9.5.0 and now all our servers (W2x) run out of memory
> after a day or two because named just grows and grows... never happened
> before.
> Something changed in the 9.5.x?  Couldn't find from the docs...
>
> The max-cache-size is default, also tried to set it to 32M or 64M. No help.

If you perform 'rndc stop' while memory is growing, does it cause a
crash (due to an assertion failure)?  If so, it means memory leak.

Also, if you have many ACL related settings, try the patch included in
bind-9.5.0/KNOWN-DEFECTS (although I suspect it doesn't help according
to your problem description: 'after a day or two').

I'd also suggest enabling http statistics interface (you'll need
libxml2 for that) and monitoring the 'memory contexts' section.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.