Forwarding and sub-zones servers !

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Jun 26 03:02:14 UTC 2008

Yes, the important piece of the puzzle here is that a forwarder must
*always* honor recursion for the clients/queries that are desired be
forwarded. Otherwise a referral gets returned to the client, whenever
the answer doesn't happen to be in cache, and that's basically a wasted
query/response transaction. Recursion and forwarding go hand in hand;
they're practically synonymous. So, if you have recursion turned off
globally on your "root" servers (as would be typical for a "root"
server), via "recursion no", to make this forwarding-to-root-servers
work you're going to have to re-do your config somewhat to open
recursion up selectively.

Having said all of that, though, please re-consider your architecture.
Forwarding is a necessary evil in some circumstances: usually, to deal
with connectivity issues. But *multi-level* forwarding is a whole other
level of ugliness. More latency, worse scaling, potentially more points
of potential failure. If you can continue with your distributed BIND
instances querying the remote nameservers of your business partner
*directly*, I would recommend sticking with that, unless you have other
considerations (e.g. security/auditing, inter-company politics,
bandwidth issues) which preclude it.

Depending on the structure of the sessions.rservices.com domain and your
connectivity/bandwidth to the nameservers of any and/or all (sub)zones
contained within it, you may also want to consider "slave" or "stub" as
alternatives to forwarding.

                                          - Kevin

P.S. A conceptual note: the fact that your distributed BIND instances
happen to also be authoritative for subdomains of your main domain
(aa.toto.com etc.), really has nothing whatsoever to do with their
function as *resolvers* of names in the session.rservices.com domain.
It's usually best to separate these functions -- authoritative
nameservice versus resolver -- mentally, since they often have different
architectural considerations, even though the same functions may
co-exist within the same BIND instance running on the same box.