problem in fedora core 9 bind

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Jun 24 04:19:37 UTC 2008

admin wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam
> Hi
> I have installed fedora core 9.
> After starting named daemon i visited /var/log/messages  and encounter the
> following error :the working directory is not writable.
> Would you please guid me to eliminate this problem.

1. Identify what directory named is using as its working directory.
You'll need to find what config file named is using (default is usually
/etc/named.conf, but this can be overridden on the command line, or
might be relative to a "chroot jail" if you're using one), and look for
the "directory" statement in the "options" clause
2. Check the ownership and permissions of that directory
3. Identify what ID named is running as. You should be able to determine
that via a simple "ps"
4. Is the ID able to write to the working directory? Apparently not.
You'll have to adjust the permissions, most likely.

                                 - Kevin