"No A record found for edtweb12"

Michael Coumerilh coumie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 16:27:19 UTC 2008

FIrst time posting, so pardon me for any errors in procedure.
I'm looking for a second opinion for verification before I call my
client's host.

My client (www.outsideoutfitters.com) is having intermittent issues
connecting to his website which has the tools he needs to fulfill
orders. By this, I mean that from time to time when he goes to
outsideoutfitters.com IE IMMEDIATELY goes to the "Page not found"
error. This isn't a slow, timeout error - it's immediate. His
customers have only complained from time to time that his site is
slow. But this apparently is due to the server database recompiling,
and once it finished it's thing, the customer can once again navigate
the page.

I checked with dnscheck.se (http://dnscheck.se/log.pl?domain=outsideoutfitters.com&date=last
) to see if everything looked good DNS-wise. Sure enough, LOTS of
errors (LOTs of red). I compared his to other known dependable sites
where I see NO errors.

He asked his host about this, and they basically said, "It's not
misconfigured, and NS23 and NS24 are the same computer anyway, so it
wouldn't matter." It seems to me that the secondary NS
(ns24.empiredatatech.com) is where the problem lies. My theory is that
once the local DNS server requests the page, if it returns the
secondary NS it will fail. If, however it returns the primary server
it comes up as usual.

Can someone please help confirm this?

Michael
"Warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be
patient with everyone." - Paul - (1 Thessalonians 5:14)